Pages

Monday, August 22, 2022

Home on Mondays: Air Purifiers I've Tried and Tested

The air quality has been really bad the past two weeks. I'm not sure if it's caused by the increased movement of people, increased factory production or because of Taal Volcano's frequent gas eruptions. I've been having more sneezefests and asthma because of the bad air. 

I was forced to buy an air purifier when I lived in Singapore. Smoke from surrounding countries would reach Singapore every year and I remember one time the AQI reached 300+! It's like what we're experiencing now. The sky hasn't been blue for a few weeks now. 




I bought my first air purifier ten years ago. It's probably the most simple one since you just insert a filter in it and it helps purify the air in your room. I have since acquired a few more to fulfill my needs. Here's what I've tried and tested in the past decade:

1. Atmosphere Sky Air Purifier

I was looking for a medical grade air purifier when a friend recommended the Atmosphere Sky Air Purifier. Medical grade air purifiers have a three-layer air filtration system. Hospitals normally use HEPA filter grade purifiers. I've been using this for two years now in bigger rooms (can cover up to 465 square feet). It does a great job in cleaning the air. Only downside is the expensive filters which you need to change when it gets very dirty (I changed mine after 2 years).

Here's the unboxing video I did when I got it two years ago -


If ever I need another air purifier, will I buy this again? Yes.

2. Xiaomi Air Purifier

I have two Mi Air purifiers, Gen 1 and 2S. I got my first one a few years ago since it was recommended by a friend who lived in China. I figured it should be good because it was made where the air is constantly dirty. Reviews were also good. I'm still using the Gen 1 air purifier. It saved me when I had to set aside the Honeywell one (filter got too dirty). I got a second one in 2020 for my home in Manila when Taal Volcano erupted. I think Mi air purifiers are the most economical. They're more affordable and the filters are inexpensive too.

If ever I need another air purifier, will I buy this again? Yes, probably the newest one.

3. Honeywell Air Purifier

I have the Honeywell HPA710WE1 air purifier. It also has a three-layer air filtration system and if you use the germagic filter, it should also help kill COVID-19 (read that here). I have been using this in the master bedroom and it's been effectively cleaning the air. My respiratory doctor advised that I should sleep through the night and having clean air helps. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night coughing. I think across all my air filters this is the most efficient one in cleaning the air. The only gripe I have about it is the filters are very expensive. I just found out recently that the version I got is quite rare. I couldn't find any local supplier for the filter, so had to ask my bestie to buy for me in Singapore. 


Used vs. New filter

If ever I need another air purifier, will I buy this again? Yes, only if I have the budget. Will probably check first if the filter is available locally.

4. Whirlpool Air Purifier

This air purifier was heaven sent! We got it for free when we bought our fridge. Well, not really sure if it was from a promo because we just found it tucked away in the extra room where our contractor kept all our deliveries. They said it came with the fridge. Well, thank you Whirlpool Philippines/credit card company for the free air purifier! I've been using this air purifier in my craft room and it's done a good job since it also has a HEPA filter. I usually stay in my craft room during the day and it's where I hide whenever the air quality gets really bad. I also just checked and the replacement filter is about the same price as the Mi one.

If ever I need another air purifier, will I buy this again? Hmmm, only if 1 and 2 are not available.

5. Novita Air Purifier

I have an older Novita air purifier. This was probably the second one I bought in Singapore which I got for Miggy's bedroom. It still works and the filters are still available. Novita is a good brand and so far the one I have still works. 

If ever I need another air purifier, will I buy this again? Only if 1-4 is not available.

6. JML Air Purifier (AP20)

This purifier I bought randomly from Ace Hardware after Taal erupted. I didn't have an air purifier in our Manila home and it was the only one available at Ace Hardware when we went out. Our rooms were smaller in the condo, so it did a good job cleaning the air. Nowadays we bring it whenever we travel since it's small enough to fit in a suitcase. 

If ever I need another air purifier, will I buy this again? Probably not. I think it's best used for smaller rooms only.

**********

I have one more air purifier and I honestly don't remember the brand, haha. It still works and probably has the most inexpensive filter. It was the first one I bought from a hardware shop in Singapore. I think Miggy's been using it in his bedroom (will check!). It's useful only if you're looking to rid the air of dust, so it'll be better to acquire the newer air purifiers. 

Aside from having air purifiers at home, it's also important to track the air quality. I track air quality through IQAir.com since they have contributors that provide localized information. I recently downloaded the app on my phone and it searches for data that's nearest to you. I've been thinking about getting a sensor, but they're quite expensive so I just use data that's available. Even without it my nose has been a good indicator (haha), but preventing asthma is key. 

Take care everyone, the quality of air has been really bad. Wear an N95 mask if you're going out. Aside from the respiratory meds my doctor gave me I also use Young Living RC to help me. 

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment