Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2020

The Philippine Eagle in Singapore

One of the places I love visiting in Singapore is the Jurong Bird Park. We visit as a family every so often and we had a big reason to go again last year. Geothermica and Sambisig, two Davao-born Philippine Eagles were loaned to Singapore and now live at Jurong Bird Park. We visited them August last year just before Miguel was set to go back home.

Huge banners greeted us as we arrived at the park. The park crew also told us the good news that our tickets were good for a year since they were set to move to another location nearer the zoo. We slowly moved our way to the enclosure where the Philippine Eagles were located.



We appreciated all the other beautiful birds in the park, but I must say that the Philippine Eagle is truly the king. It's presence (even caged) is majestic. I realized that it was the first time I was seeing a fully grown Philippine Eagles. The others I've seen in Davao were younger and smaller compared to Geothermica and Sambisig. They stood tall towards the top of the cage. From my vantage point on the ground there was no way for me to get a good photo of them.


This is a juvenile Philippine Eagle (circa 2007).

I felt of proud of the beautiful raptor and I shed a few tears just looking at them. I remembered them today after watching a few videos about the Philippine Eagle. I learned from one of the videos that Philippine Eagles stick to one partner for life and they care for their young for at least two years. They're very much like us as a people -- it's all about our family. I hope and pray that the conservation efforts for this beautiful creature is successful and that those greedy business people who keep rampaging our forests stop. Here's one of the documentaries I watched about the Philippine Eagle tonight -



CB//124 #StuckAtHomeDay/154 #StayHome #BeKind

No comments:

Post a Comment