Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Living at Work for Another Year

To be honest, I was taken aback when the announcement came out that our WFH set-up would be extended to June 2021. I love working from home. I did this for five years in Manila. The set-up was perfect for me especially when Miggy was still in high school at that time. I only went out when I had face to face meetings. At that time commuting around Metro Manila was fairly easy and I would even take the MRT to Trinoma when I had QC meetings.

Last time I was at the office, March 13, 2020, 7pm. I miss the office and my friends.


As much as working from home helps me manage my health better, the situation we have now is so much different. I read an article that companies are finding it hard to do development work. This usually requires teamwork and working with your team is much easier if you're together in person. My team is able to work more or less seamlessly. I think I'm actually doing more now than when I was in the office.

Me after work usually.

After I finish work I purposely change the color of the lights I use. This helps switch to home mode. I'm more tired though and oftentimes conk out on the couch after work hehe. The situation forced me to change all my regular routines. I've adjusted to it and here's how I disengage from work at the end of the day:

1. Change the living room lights from daylight to soft white
2. Move from my work seat at the dining table to the couch
3. Turn on the TV or play music
4. Go to the kitchen and set up the ingredients for dinner
5. Visit my balcony garden and putter around
6. Have a snack
7. Switch to my hobbies.
8. Change clothes

I do 4 or 5 if I don't conk out first, but I usually have a snack or a drink (cold coffee usually). Work at home is hard, but with the right signals you can easily slip into home mode. The biggest switch though is stopping work at the end of your work day. I follow that strictly because it takes me so long to slow down my brain. Reading an email or a message at 9 in the evening affects my sleep pattern. The stimulation keeps me up until the wee hours of the morning. This is why I absolutely peeved when people message me on my social media accounts about work hehe. .

What about you, how do you switch from work to home mode?


CB//119 #StuckAtHomeDay/149 #WFH147 #StayHome #BeKind

No comments:

Post a Comment