Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Wellness Wednesdays: Dealing with Life's Mysteries

I have learned to accept the fact that doctors and science cannot explain everything. The best way is to live your life the best way you can. I made this comment last night in the pulmonary embolism patients group. I remember when I joined the group many years ago, I was confused and anxious about the diagnosis. Getting a PE is always a surprise to everyone. You only find out you have it when it happens. 

In my case, it took over a year and getting a second opinion before I was diagnosed with it. I was bewildered and realized if I didn't push to see another doctor I'd probably be gone now. I didn't dwell on it at that time because I was busy preparing for a trip. I was grounded by my doctor after that trip, haha. I went on with my life, but eventually had a second PE. 




I actively comment back to new patients who join the group. I know and understand what they're going through. They are often frustrated, bewildered and lost. Looking for answers on why you had it. Some are lucky to know why they had it. Some get it because it's in their genes. Some due to birth control. Others due to giving birth. But there are people like me who would never know why I had it. 

I've made peace with that and embraced it as a life mystery. Doctors don't have all the answers. I've seen a good number of them. I did so many tests and they generally told me to just monitor and don't let anyone open you up again. My focus now is to improve my quality of life. Here's what I've learned so far:

1. Not all your questions will be answered, just let it be. Treat it as a mystery and just let God take care of you. 

2. The Nile is not just a river in Egypt. Denial will just frustrate you further. Just accept it and focus on improving your quality of life. 

3. Not many people will understand what you're going through. Some would be sympathetic, others would be distant. Others would expect you to be "normal". Just focus on appreciating those who are around you. 

4. Don't beat yourself if you can't be what you used to be. Just be at least 1% better than yesterday. 

5. Find simple joys and be grateful of everything. 

#BeKind #StaySafe


No comments:

Post a Comment