Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Wellness Wednesdays: Why You Need an Air Purifier

The air quality today is really bad. I had to put the air purifier on high mode since it was triggering my asthma. I'm not sure what's causing the air quality to be bad lately. DOST-Philvocs reported that Taal Volcano emitted 4,422 tons of sulfur dioxide (Source: DOST-Philvocs Twitter). Add that plus vehicle and factory emissions, then that's maybe why the quality of air has been bad. 

Sadly though, we don't really have a government agency here in the Philippines that provides real-time data on air quality. In Singapore they track it everyday and it's posted by nea.gov.sg on their website and Twitter account. Air pollution is bad especially for those with respiratory ailments like asthma. I only started having asthma when I moved to Singapore. It became worse as years passed. 

The pollutants from bad air causes respiratory ailments and other diseases. The "WHO data show that almost all of the global population (99%) breathe air that exceeds WHO guideline limits and contains high levels of pollutants, with low- and middle-income countries suffering from the highest exposures." (Source: WHO). 

What I normally monitor is the status of PM2.5 in the air. It's fine particulate matter that can go into your lungs (more info here). Breathing this can make your illness worse or cause lung cancer and/or heart disease. That's why it was a double whammy for me, I already had a heart condition and my lungs were scarred from pneumonia even before I moved to Singapore. 



To protect myself and my boys we have air purifiers in all our rooms. It really helped me when I lived in Singapore and we brought home all of it. I've tried and tested a number of air purifiers in the past ten years and I made a review of which one is most useful and practical for me. So don't wait before things get worse. The air wasn't this bad before, but I guess with our volcanoes angry plus more vehicles out there it's just going to really get worse. 

#BeKind #StaySafe 


No comments:

Post a Comment