Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Wellness Wednesday: Sing and Be Happy

For a decade in my life I was actively serving in church through the choir. I was not sickly back then and I guess I was in tiptop shape. We usually just walked back home and walked to the nearby cafe after church Or we'd go hang-out in one of our houses. 




As the quote says in the photo, "Singing improves breathing, circulation and cardiovascular health, aids in motor control and coordination, leads to increased alertness and energy, protects the upper respiratory system from infection, and stimulates antibody production." (University of Frankfurt, University Clinic Charite)

Ahh, all my lung issues started after I stopped serving in the choir. My life drastically changed and I focused on other things. I didn't realize back then that aside from being able to serve, I was also taking care of my health. When I was part of the choir we usually had to sing loudly and that required a lot of lung power. After mass we would also practice for at least another hour. I honestly never had to exercise. 




And singing with friends also benefits your mental health. I went through several issues, but never got depressed. My friends always kept me company. I was away for many, many years but we've always kept in touch. I'm hoping to finally have a get together with them this Christmas (when our house doesn't look like a bodega anymore haha).  

It was only after my second PE that I started to sing a bit again. I would sing along whenever Sweetie played the piano. It helped improve my breathing. I also listen to music to help calm me and put me to sleep. 

“He who sings frightens away his ills.” – Miguel de Cervantes

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment