Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2022

Plantita Saturdays: Planted Carrots!

Found a pack of carrot seeds when I organized my collection of seeds. Planted a bunch of seeds in mid-September and it was the only one that survived the rat rampage. They had grown pretty well when I checked last Monday and I thought it was time to transplant them. 





I read that carrots require full sun, but cool soil. They are good companion plants also for tomato. I thought the huge pot where I had my tomato plant was the perfect place to transplant the carrots. Removed the dead tomato plant first and doused the soil first with boiling water. It's supposed to kill pests and their eggs. I did that because the tomato plant was infested with black insects. 

Before I transplanted the carrots I also added compost and crushed eggshells in the soil. I think the soil was undernourished when I had the tomato plant in it. I read that carrots require a lot of potassium and phosphate. I'm still waiting for the homemade calphos I made to mature, so hope the additional compost and eggshells I added would suffice for now. 





I'm now using my soil moisture sensor to check if the plant needs watering. Learned the hard way that you need to check (my garlic died). The weather keeps changing, so it's hard to gauge when the soil needs watering from sight. I read that you need to increase the water when the carrot roots mature.

I originally thought it'll take 8 months before I could harvest. I just checked again and they said it will take 60 to 80 days before you can harvest the carrots. If things go well I'll be harvesting carrots by Christmas! Yay!

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment