Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2022

Plantita Saturdays: Banana Peel Tea to Produce More Flowers

My tomato plant became so leggy because it wasn't getting the right amount of sun. We didn't realize that our bamboo trees had become bushy and blocked the sun from reaching my tomato plant. The plant was housed in a huge pot which is unmovable. It survived the higad infestation, but I wasn't able to save it from aphids and black insects I couldn't identify.  




Since the tomato plants grew so long, some parts of it would break whenever there's a typhoon. I immediately planted the stems that broke off. I just stuck them in soil and they surprisingly grew. They are now as tall as the old tomato plant. I realized though that they produced very little flowers. The flowers would also easily break off or just die. 


From my tomato plant last year.


One of the things I used to do often in Singapore was make banana peel tea. I would just dunk banana peels in warm water for 24 hours. I would then use the tea to water the plants. Banana peel provides much needed potassium for your plants and helps them produce more flowers. I reviewed this method by watching a few videos and picked up a few tips -

  • Saba peel is better than lakatan or latundan. Saba has more nutritious content that can benefit your plants. I used lakatan though for the banana peel tea I made recently and they still managed the tomato plant produce more flowers. 
  • Simplest banana peel tea recipe - leave cut banana peel in water for one week. 1:5 tea to water ratio when you use it to water plants. 
  • You can also dry the peels under the sun. Once dry use a blender to chop them up, then add to the soil. 
  • Make camp juice by combining banana peel, 3 tablespoons of sinangag eggshells, 1 tablespoon epsom salt plus water in a blender. Once done add 1 tbsp to 1 liter of water in a spray bottle. Use once a week. (You can watch how to make it from this channel). 
Warning though, homemade fertilizer can smell nasty since they ferment over time. So far my plants prefer the homemade fertilizers I've been making for them. I have the pellets, but I noticed they can only do so much. I think going the extra mile for your plants would produce better results. 

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment