Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2022

Throwback Thursday: Required My Students to Blog

Once upon a time in the distant past, I was a college instructor. I was entrusted to prepare my students for the real world. I was given the last subject in their syllabus. It was essentially the summary class of their whole course.

Since the students were set to graduate with a degree in organizational communications, I knew they were going to do a lot of writing in their future job. They also needed to quickly understand issues and problems and figure out how best to communicate information and solutions. So, I forced them to blog to train them to assess information, identify important points and communicate it properly.


Blogger friends, c 2008-2009


I remembered what I did because of recent issues of vloggers. What happened was the result of very high emotions. It's nothing new because these things happen everywhere. There was a lot of tsismis in the blogosphere way back, haha. 

Well, what happened this week reminded me why I started blogging in the first place. I've been asking myself why should I continue to blog daily. I've been in a rut the past few weeks and it's been very difficult to write. 


I stopped attending and organizing blogger events before because I felt it wasn't aligned with the purpose of my blog. I blog mainly for myself to chronicle what's going on and what I learn from it. And that's what I wanted my students to learn, to be purposive and to keep learning. 

I did bump into some of my students. A number of them went into digital marketing. It was all still very new when they graduated. They said they went that direction because of me. I loved reading their weekly blog posts and I hope they did learn something from it. 

Give a holler if you were one of my students. I barely made it out of that term alive, haha.

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment