Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Goodbye GSuite Legacy Edition, What I Did to My Accounts

When Google Apps (changed to GSuite, now Google Workspace) was introduced over a decade ago, I immediately signed up my domains to avail of the free service. The accounts you can create for your domain was bottomless and it was so easy for me, a non-techie, to manage. I even made how-to guides way back.

I always knew the free edition would end eventually. You cannot imagine how upset I was when limits were put in the Edu edition. Of course, it is a business and you can just imagine how many resources are needed to run the service. The pandemic probably played a huge role in speeding up the demise of the free edition. I've honestly been procrastinating about my accounts, but Sweetie reminded me about it last weekend.

My past life, so if ya have any questions. 
Go to the Google Workspace Help Center hehe.


Ended up working on my accounts last night. I've been using my GSuite legacy edition accounts mainly for my blogs and I use the rest of the features every so often. I didn't even think about moving to another service. I trust the system (Google Workspace) and it's easy to use. I didn't even nag Sweetie to help me upgrade to the paid edition. You need to watch out though for updates on the UI because Google changes things often. I'm used to it. My only advise is... don't be scared to click on stuff and if in doubt, go through the Google Workspace for issues. 

As I was doing the upgrade last night I discovered that Philippine based users get a 70% discount and if you sign up now you also get 4 months free! Here are the steps I took when I upgraded (some tips included):

1.  Log-in to the dashboard using your admin account. 

2. Make sure you accept all the required terms and conditions/legal and compliance stuff. [Click on the @ sign on the left side and go to "account settings"].  


3. Once done, remove any unused accounts on your user list because you're going to be charged per user

4. Update your billing details. I had left this blank for the longest time, so I finally did last night. 

5. Click on "Learn more" on the banner on the top of the dashboard page or follow the links sent to your email by Google Workspace to upgrade your account. GSuite Legacy edition users should follow the steps found here. Click on "Upgrade now".


or



6. You will be shown a pop-up to review the prices. Click on "Place order" and then you can select which edition you want. I just got the "Business Starter" edition.

Make sure to switch country to Philippines so you get 70% off.


7. Make sure to switch the country to Philippines because the default is the US. Here's how the price looks when it's under the US:

More discount if you sign up under the Philippines:


8. Charges will essentially start in August. I upgraded my accounts now so I don't have to worry about getting the plug pulled in June. 

And yes, I'm paying for it since there's no free lunch and I used it for free anyway for more than 10 years now. I also didn't want to bother migrating to another service since my set-up is just for me. It would probably cost me more if I migrated. 

#BeKind #StaySafe #VoteWisely





No comments:

Post a Comment