Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2022

Be Purposeful

When I retired I told myself I'd just play things by ear. I would just do whatever I felt like doing everyday. It left me feeling unproductive. In the last 15 years I always had annual and quarterly goals. It was for work, but that's what helped me be purposeful. I thought I could do away with it. 

We watched The Witcher 2 this past week. Yennefer, a sorcerer, lost her powers at the end of season 1. In season two, her goal was to get it back. Eventually, she realized that she needed to find her other purpose. She got back her powers after sacrificing herself to save someone. 

In our very messy family room. 


Since I'm living a different life now from what I used to, I thought I could just do away with what I'm used to. I've yet to learn how to merge my past with my present. I thought I could just slip back to my previous life, but I'm different now and I have to bring all of it with me as I move forward. 

And so moving forward, I'm going to create quarterly "OKRs" so I can get things going. That will also prevent me from being too sedentary. It's time for me to set aside my frustration over being limited physically and embrace the new me. 

Here are my OKRs for this quarter (in random order):

1. Health. Get back on the exercise bike. Gain more independence.

2. Home. Get things going to get cabinets done. 

3. Mom's Home. Also get things going with the architect. 

4. Adulting. Finish organizing all the docs. 

5. Family. Go on R&R and visit Dad. 

6. Hobbies. Finish summer curtains and start working on new collections. Harvest something!

7. Nutrition. Slowly move into a more plant based diet. Make sure it's safe for me (due to some medicine restrictions). 

8. Cooking. Learn 3 new seafood dishes and cook at least once a week. 

9. Baking. Bake at least 3x a month. 

10. Spiritual. Don't lose sight of Him. 

This is just an initial list, I probably missed a lot of things. One thing I learned about crafting OKRs is you need to be specific. Goals should be steep, but reachable. I've done away with moonshot targets since I got sick because it doesn't work for me. My mantra since last year is to do better at least 1% than yesterday. It is easy to get frustrated when you have physical limitations, so it's best to build on success than overstretching. 

Most of my goals are more "internal". I still need to develop my strength so I can have more stamina to do more. Hopefully next quarter I can expand my activities more. 

Happy weekend everyone! I'm just grateful for now to be back up after getting my booster shot. 

#BeKind #StaySafe #VoteWisely

No comments:

Post a Comment