Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2022

Plantita Saturdays: Let's Make Planting Onions Work

The red onions at Lander's were shockingly expensive! It was PhP516 for a kilo last Tuesday and yesterday it ranged from PhP650 to 750! We decided to buy just a few from the village market and 290 grams (7 small pieces) cost PhP191 (it was PhP664 per kilo). Just before Christmas Sweetie was able to buy 6 pieces of red onion with 2 pieces of green bell pepper, a couple of tomatoes and lettuce for PhP200. I don't really know what happened, but I resolved to try planting again. 




Spotted a few old red onions with stalks in the fridge. Watched Kevin of Epic Gardening to refresh my memory on how to plant store bought onions. I also needed to understand what went wrong when I previously planted onions. I resolved to do it right this time around. 




Dug up the onions from the veggie crisper. Two were rotten, but one was still okay. Opened it up and saw that the onion split into two already (similar to Kevin's). 

Removed the dried up roots and put them in water. Leaving them in the kitchen for now to grow more roots. Will check in a few days if it successfully grows roots.

Onion growing reminders:

Add coffee compost to the soil (coffee grounds are rich in nitrogen)

Water occasionally, best to check for moisture

Put them on a sunny spot, they need full sun

Onions need more nitrogen (urea), add fertilizer every 2 to 3 weeks

The onion should be ready to harvest after 100 to 120 days. I'll cross the bridge when I hopefully get there, lol. 


No comments:

Post a Comment