Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Feels GREAT to be Pinoy

I've always been vocal about being "proudly Pinoy". I shared here in my blog a few months ago Why I Wanna Stay Home and I still do because I know I have a mission to accomplish here.

Anyway, Marc tagged me for the meme, "What are the 3 signs you see happening now that make you say, “it feels great to be Pinoy” then tag ten (10) of your blogger friends." Here are my 3 reasons:

1. Pinky David, Licensing Director of Discovery Channel in her keynote address for the 38th Marketing Conference this morning quoted Tony Meloto's speech for a Gawad Kalinga event, "Filipinos, you were created for excellence...". That gave me the shivers and I remember my Kuya sharing to me that GK will indeed manage to build 700K+ homes within 7 years and it will drastically lessen the poverty rate in the Philippines. And, guess what, GK is already reaching out to other countries and working with the UN to eradicate poverty as well in other countries. The secret to the success of the program? Pinoys.

2. Filipinos give care and help in healing people. Did you know that 40% of nurses in New York hospitals are supposedly Pinoys? (I got that statistic from a friend.) Who'd give the TLC that patients and children need if there weren't Pinoys?

3. Filipinos are very talented and creative people. Guess who sings at bars all over Asia? Guess what Pizza Hut ad actually contributed to the boom of the 1-800 numbers (now sing it - nine-one-one-one-one-one-one!? Guess who are the best animators in the world (remember that bahay kubo in Nemo's aquarium? And who does the best non-American "American accent" in the whole wide BPO industry? PINOYS!

God loves us. He created us to be excellent, talented, big-hearted, humorous-even-at-adversity people and there are actually foreigners applying for Filipino citizenship! Imagine that.

And I am just simply so PROUD to be FILIPINO!

And now I'm tagging my friends:
Tappy, Anne, Lady Cess, Sasha, Rico, Jonas, Honey, Janette, Blogie and Andrew.

(And that covers Singapore, Makati, QC, Paranaque, Cagayan de Oro and Davao)

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:02 PM

    hmm.... :) acknowledged ang tag :)

    great post :), very inspiring. lalo na ngayon na ang gulo-gulo ng eleksyon, we need somethng like this. kaya lang parang sinabi mo na lahat :D wla na yata kaming maisasagot, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GK is truly something to be proud of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "..there are actually foreigners applying for Filipino citizenship! Imagine that.."

    But of course.. if only to protect their business interests! :)

    Seriously though, it still amazes me how we Pinoys can manage to put on our best smiles despite the trials and tragedies that come our way. Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that 90% of the caregivers here in Israel are Filipino.

    Nice post, I will share my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ladycess - madami pa yan! :)

    @tina - yes and I have a colleague in NY who's very involved in it. Galeng diba

    @midnight rainbow - I've met some who actually applied just because they want to, these are mostly the people who are already retired

    @miguel - sadly more than 80% of our nurses are abroad and more than 60% of doctors as well :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think it's that bad. We train more doctors and nurses to take their place. They go abroad because the work can't be outsourced, unlike we IT folk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:01 PM

    that's true, Aileen. in my travels the past 10 years, i would find filipino bands in every 5-star hotel, sometimes even in less starred (hope there is word such as this). and they really sing so well! in some countries, filipinos are in either middle manager or higher positions. take china, for example, filipinos are mostly maangers in hotels and quality control supervisors in big factories.

    am proud to be filipino, too, where in the world can on find the smile, the charm, the talent! mabuhay and Pilipino!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Aileen. Here's my post for this tag. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:48 PM

    Check out the Java Education & Development Initiative (JEDI), which was included in the 2005 JavaOne keynote of none other than Sun Microsystems CEO Scott McNealy.

    Now, it is being translated to Portuguese, Bahasa and French...

    All because of Pinoys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, ganda ng meme na to. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:34 PM

    Working in a foreign country makes you more "Proud to be a Filipino"

    I hope that all would feel the same...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Aileen.

    I would be proudly pinoy, except that I am from the UK. I have just passed the first anniversary of my first footfall on Philippine soil (well, concrete at NAIA, to be more accurate), and I have spent 14 weeeks there, in the last year, spread over five trips.

    I love your country, the people of your country, and am also privileged to be trying to give something to your country, in terms of my time and love.

    I have just started a blog about my times in the Philippines and my love affair with it. I have many stories to tell, much to share.... If anyone is interested, please check in.

    Love Jo

    ReplyDelete