Pages

Saturday, May 13, 2023

Plantita Saturdays: Caring for Orchids?

TBH I haven't the faintest idea about caring for orchids. My Mom lovedd them and she successfully got them to bloom year after year. She tried to get me into it, but I found it too complicated. She'd give me easy to do tasks. The only thing I remember is never to water the flower and leaves, keep them on pots with charcoal or bunot (coco husk). Give them fertilizer every so often and that orchids like egg shells. 




I received three pots of orchids last week. It came in a decorative crate. After a few days the flowers started to wilt and I knew they had to be re-potted and watered. Watched a few videos and did some research. I wasn't sure if it was safe to use coco peat only. The plant started to wilt and I thought it wasn't good for it to stay enclosed in plastic.

Found some unused terracotta pots and transplanted the two orchids. I filled it up with coco peat and they looked okay in it for a few days. I ordered some coco husk in case I needed to re-pot them again. Good thing I did because they didn't look good after awhile. Transferred the three orchids yesterday and hope they get better drainage in their new set-up. 




One thing I'm not sure about how much sunlight they should get. I read they should only get morning sun and should be protected from the afternoon sun. Mom used to place her orchids under a tree or some shade. They got morning sun, but would also get wet if it rained. They survived. Since it's been very hot, I have placed the three pots just outside my craft room. They would get some morning sun and I might put a net on the side to protect them from the afternoon sun. 

Here's hoping they would survive.

#BeKind #StaySafe


No comments:

Post a Comment