Pages

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Creative Happy Tuesdays: Save Money by Making Your Own Bias Tape

One thing I had to learn to make on my own is binding (bias tape). My Mom used to just fold her quilts on the edges. She liked adding lace/flange to the edges.When I started quilting again, i would purchase ready made binding. It's expensive, so I worked on figuring out how to make it. 




I first made it by hand. I didn't have proper tools back then and I'd just use my nail to fold it. Yup, it eventually got painful. After some research I found there are tools for making bias tape/binding. I found one from an online shopping app which was pretty inexpensive. I bought it without the knowledge on how to use it, LOL. 

Made a couple of mistakes, before I did more research to understand how best to use the tool. The tool did not come with instructions when I bought it (hehe). Thought it would be useful to make a short video so others like me can learn to make it. Here's the video:




You'll save a lot by making your own bias tape. A pack of 12 mm x 5 m costs SG$11 and I remember it being expensive also in Divisoria. Color options are also limited, so it's really better to make your own. I always feel happy when I'm binding my quilt. It means I'm just a kembot away to finish it!

#BeKind #StaySafe  

No comments:

Post a Comment