Pages

Monday, April 10, 2023

Home on Mondays: Transformed a Bathroom to a Powder Room

Hope you all had an amazing Easter! We just stayed home for some peace and quiet. We spent some time reflecting and focused on exploring new things in the kitchen. We still have a long way to go before our home is truly organized, but I finally got to enjoy my craft room again. I spent the past week unboxing (again) and vacating my makeshift craft corner in our bedroom. I c

I could have used my craft room sooner, but I gave in to my wish to makeover the bathroom. Yes, the craft room has it's own bathroom. Our home has more bathrooms than bedrooms (seriously). The craft room bathroom though felt very awkward. 


Old bathroom fixtures looked like they were leftovers from another project IMHO.


When you open the door it closes off the shower area. You also have to close the door so you could use the sink without bumping into the door. The sink was too big and it made the toilet area cramped. I got bruises from the sink whenever I used the toilet (I have flat feet so I don't have good balance). The faucet was also not appropriate for the sink. Water would spill over and I had to install an extender for water to flow into the sink. The bathroom also made me feel like I was in a cave since the theme was very morose. I'm also not fond of round bathroom sinks since it's harder to clean. 




This is what I had changed for this indulgence (for my sanity):

Changed the door to a barn door (the original door made me feel like I'm in a hospital)

Removed the shower area to open up the space

Removed the sink and it's cabinet, moved it to the shower area. Also replaced the sink and faucet. We re-used the sink from the master's bathroom (the other one went to the family room bathroom).

Built a mirror cabinet

Installed shelves

Added an accent wall, originally planned to use tiles but since I couldn't find the one I wanted, I decided to try limewash paint

Repainted the other walls to white

Kept the toilet bowl, but had a bidet installed

Changed the lights

Re-tiled the floor

Removed the tissue holder because it kept nipping me

Drainage was also fixed since there was some water dripping from somewhere

Progress photos:


Small space = severely cramped bathroom


Pipes, drain and electrical re-work


Walls made smooth. You can gauge from the small ladder that the space is small. 


Primer

Cabinet installation

First attempt at limewash. It didn't look like limewash :')

Kuya Roel's limewash version before adding sealer.

Final look. Resort feelz.

A friend's gift broke the overwhelming "salmoness".


I just realized I didn't take any photos of the old bathroom except the one with the Hello Kitty rugs. It was a feeble attempt to make it look a bit happier, haha. I even installed a pink shower curtain, but the area just always felt heavy. The renovation was done in March, but I wasn't satisfied with the paint job. The things I flagged were finally tweaked last week. 

The limewash turned too "salmonee" because of the sealer. It was lighter before they added the sealer. I guess sealer is like varnish when you add it on paint. I decided to keep it as is since I could probably change it to another color in a few years. A friend gave me a nice poster which Sweetie installed for me last weekend. It was perfect for the wall and made the wall look less overwhelming. 

I'm happy about the makeover. It was a good decision to downgrade the bathroom to a powder room. I am able to move around freely and I have more storage. It's also easier to clean since the floor area is more open. The gloomy cave-like atmosphere is also gone, now replaced with a refreshing vibe. 

#BeKind #StaySafe






No comments:

Post a Comment