Pages

Friday, February 10, 2023

What I Learned About Being an Introvert

I was already in my late 20s when I learned I was an introvert. The term wasn't really used when I was younger. Introverts used to be called "shy" and thought to be generally not confident. Even as a child, I'd hide from my visitors during my birthday party. I would peek from the window before going down to meet them. I always felt terrified whenever there were many people and whenever I had to perform in front of people. Reciting made me feel very anxious. I still feel the same way. 

When Miggy was growing up I noticed he was the same as me. His teachers gave me feedback that he was very shy and quiet in class. They knew he was very intelligent, so they hoped he'd speak up more. I eventually came across the book "Quiet" by Susan Cain. Through the book I understood myself a bit more and I got tips on how to help my introverted child develop. From the book, I understood that there was nothing wrong with me. 




I'm built differently from extroverts. Unlike extroverts, I don't like being the center of attention. It takes me awhile to warm up to people. It takes a lot of willpower and guts for me to speak in public. I'm only comfortable to go to parties of those I'm close with. 

My previous job required me to be "out there". I found myself doing speaking engagements. I organized huge events. Built communities across countries. Met with people who spoke in other languages. The path I took to get there wasn't an easy one. Responsibilities were thrust upon me. I told my boss back then, "Why me?" He said he knew I had the talent and I could grow much more. At one point I had at least 30 people directly reporting to me and I also experienced managing people of different nationalities. 


Photo by Norman Gorecho.


Instead of being overwhelmed, I looked at the opportunity to take on more responsibilities as a chance to learn and develop my skills. I was lucky because I was allowed to tackle things my own way. I learned from the book and from this article that introverts are wired differently. We look at things in a different manner. 

Being an introvert doesn't mean you can't do what extroverts can do. Introverts can do it by playing the role. I feel like a rag doll after fulfilling duties that require me to go out of my comfort zone. I eventually learned to enjoy it and just took a rest after. This is why I rarely went out once the workday is over. 

If you are an introvert, remember, you can do anything you want. Don't force to do things how extroverts do it. Your talents are your own. Find your voice. Follow your instincts and utilize the talents you are hiding. I certainly did things very differently and I enjoyed figuring out and solving difficult issues. I was just myself and now I'm relishing those happy memories now that I've retired. 

#BeKind #StaySafe


No comments:

Post a Comment