Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2023

Plantita Saturdays: 5Ps Before I Start Planting Again

Proper planning prevents poor performance! That's what I learned from Ninang Janette and what I taught the students in one of the programs I managed. The past year has been a year of experiments. I had some success, but most of my veggie growing projects failed.  I was excited to have more space and I just kept planting. That's okay because I learned a lot. 

I spent an entire year trying to grow stuff. My biggest mistake was not understanding the sun, water, soil and nutrition needs of the plants. My Mom told me that my Mama Lola told  her that there's no such thing as a brown thumb. You can become better through practice and become a green thumb. 




My plan to is clear an area in our backyard where the morning sun hits. Our house is at an odd angle and doesn't get a lot of good sunlight for growing plants. So I observed to figure out the best spots for growing veggies. I have also identified an area for plants that don't like too  much sun. That's where I moved the ginger and tumeric and they seem to like the shade after 10 in the morning. 

So before I start planting anything again, I thought I'd plan things first. Here's what I picked up to consider before you plant or purchase plants/veggies:

  • Know which plants would be good companions to each other
  • Understand the sun, water, soil and nutrition requirements of the plant
  • Know the best time of the year to grow the plant
  • Understand insect invasion patterns (i.e. higad usually comes out after it rains)
  • Know which plants tend to climb
  • Research how best to sprout a seed
I've been reading and watching videos the past few months and have created a grid to help me. I will probably color code the plants also so I know what plants need for nutrition. I'll also probably mark watering schedules. I have a tendency to drown my plants (sorry!). 

Since outdoor work hasn't started yet, I have time to plan what to plant. I'll research more so that my efforts will bear fruit (hopefully). 

Happy gardening everyone!

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment