Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2023

Plantita Saturdays: Kalanchoe, Super Low Maintenance Plant

A friend gave me several pots of kalanchoe last year. I have not been successful with succulents, so the opportunity excited and scared me. My friend gave me a pot that was overflowing and she advised to re-pot it. First thing I did was to read up on kalanchoe, of course. 

Kalanchoe is known to be the mother of millions (or thousands). The variety I have (Kalanchoe pinnata) multiplies by growing tiny new plants on its leaves. It was interesting to learn that there are plants that multiply that way. The pot I repotted has grown and multiplied. It can get gnarly though because the tiny shoots can easily be blow away by the wind and grow anywhere. 




It is a very resilient plant. It best grows on well draining soil. I accidentally scattered some of the sprouts on garden soil I meant to plant seeds in. I didn't even plant it and it eventually grew roots and started growing. Never had the time to move it to a proper pot and it's still growing. 

How to Re-pot Kalanchoe



A recent trip to the laundry cage at our condo showed that kalanchoe would grow and survive even with very little soil. I saw it started growing in cages that were left unkempt. The plant does not need to be watered often and best left alone. I guess the untended ones in the roofdeck just get its water when it rains or when the neighbors laundry drain reaches it.

Kalanchoe is known to be a houseplant and can live with sunlight or indirect sun. I noticed it grows bigger when it gets more sun. I'll likely move back my kalanchoes to it's original place when renovations are over so they can grow better. 

Among all the succulents given to me by my friend and the succulents I bought at Ikea, only the kalanchoe has survived! It's a low maintenance plant which you can place indoors or outdoors. It multiplies easily so I think I'll be able to give out some to my friends to pass the  love!

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment