Pages

Saturday, August 3, 2024

Tips from a Landscape Architect

I came across Slater Young's interview with Architect Efren Aurelio, a landscape architect. It piqued my interest since I've just been winging my way with gardening. My Mom was a talented home gardener. She had the instincts and green thumb. She told me though that she started with a brown thumb and just continued gardening until she knew how best to take care of her plants. Mind you, she only had a handful of reference books and never really used the internet. So her beautiful garden was a product of her talent and the skills she developed through the years. 


Mom's garden, c2019.


So, I watched the whole video to understand a few things. The difference between a landscape architect vs. landscaper. One deals with designing for large populations and the other usually plans for homes. There are landscape architects though who still do homes. Among Architect Aurelio's many award winning works, I am most familiar with Greenbelt. I remember I was amazed with how the open space was done the first time I saw it. I rarely walk outdoors at malls, but Greenbelt is an exception. 

Architect Aurelio mentioned that when planning for an outdoor space, here's a few things you can do (well, the ones I picked up). 

  • Understand the direction of the wind in your property. This is because landscaping allows you to modify the climate of the space. The wind also affects your space depending on the season. 
  • Preserve existing trees. 
  • Plan to catch rainwater. Rain gardens/fountains help lower temperature.
  • Understand what's best trees/plants to put in your area. I wish we had something like plant zoning in the US. They have a list of what will survive in your area. 
  • Divide your garden into 5 so you can just schedule a specific area for everyday of the week. I think this works except during summer when you need to water the plants everyday. 

Architect Aurelio is indeed the ultimate plantitos idol. You can watch the video here.

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment