Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2024

Aphids Hate This Kitchen Staple

I had so much trouble with aphids! The tomato and cucumber plants I grew from seed all died because it was so hard to control aphid infestation. I used to spray Neem oil (with baking soda and Castile soap), but that didn't solve the issue. 

Aphids started to eat my prized gumamela plants. I consistently sprayed the plants with Neem oil two to three times a week. I also removed the aphids with cotton buds, but they kept coming back. I kept researching on a better way to keep them out and chanced upon a site that said pests hate garlic. 




I had been using garlic for my orchids and thought it might work as a pesticide for my gumamela and petunia plants. Aphids love them both. After physically removing aphids from the plants, I sprayed garlic under the leaves and stems. I did this consistently for two weeks and noticed that the aphids did not come back anymore. I now just do it once a week to make sure they don't come back. 




To make garlic spray, I just add two to three cloves of peeled garlic to a liter of water. I like re-using the bottles of Wendy's iced tea. It's perfect to re-use for your garden. I use the same bottle to collect rice water whenever Miggy cooks rice. You can leave the garlic in the bottle for a day or two before you use it. The water gets more pungent after using the garlic a few times. The used garlic doesn't go to waste, since I put it at the foot of our bamboo plants when it's time to change it. 

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment