Pages

Friday, June 9, 2023

The Exit Plan

We watched a lot of TV when I was growing up. At that time we were not loyal to any channel. We would switch channels based on the program that we wanted to watch. We eventually started to watch shows on channel 2 (ABS-CBN) more and more. That included the noon time show, the news (Daddy preferred the late night English news), and then the telenovelas hooked us in. 

It's been years since we had cable TV. I got used to just watching TFC when I was in Singapore and then eventually signed up for Netflix. I tried HBO for a few months, stopped the subscription and now trying out Disney+. Content preference obviously change through the years. There are staples though that you can't live without, usually news, noontime shows and Netflix (maybe?). 





The past few weeks I've been watching news about the Eat Bulaga issue. It is heartbreaking since I grew up with it too. I remember seeing TVJ in person when I was a young child in Alabang Country Club (yes, I remember!). I thought they were giants! I was a tiny thing back then. To be honest though, I have not watched Eat Bulaga for a long, long time now, but I do remember it was fun to watch.

We don't know what's really happening behind the scenes, but one thing I learned through the years is to always have an exit plan. I always knew I was eventually going to go back home, I just didn't know when. Leaving something you love is painful, but with careful planning you can make it easier. Oprah left her show after 25 years. Bob Barker left the Price is Right after 35 years of hosting it. I can just imagine how hard it must have been for them to leave their shows. The same goes for TVJ, moreso since they left due to conflict. 

I had ten jobs before I joined my last employer. By that time I knew nothing lasts forever when it comes to jobs. That fact was reinforced by living in another country. I honestly thought I could go back home after 5 years. I did not expect it to stretch to ten years. I told myself that I would stay only until Miggy finishes his studies. When he did and decided to go home, I knew the time had come. 

To be honest, I didn't plan my exit well. I only caught up with planning it properly because I got sick. After agonizing and praying over it for a few months, I knew I had to put things in action. In between napping, doctor visits, getting confined, we planned what to do. I did not want to burden my family with my illness, so we planned it carefully. 

Change is constant. Nothing in life is permanent. What would you do if your current circumstance changes?

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment