Pages

Friday, January 24, 2020

Recipes for My Son, Let's Start with my Spaghetti

When our family got together to celebrate Christmas my cousins started talking about their favorite dishes in our reunions. One was my Dad's corn casserole (aka shepherd's pie), Tita Olive's spaghetti and my Kuya's spaghetti, Titay's lengua, my Spanish adobo and many other dishes. I realized we never learned to make those dishes and we can just all wish someone makes it again.

My son is now 25 years old and I started to teach him how to cook a few years ago. I think he has his Papa Lolo's touch because he's more experimental than me. I learned to cook only after tying the know. We had cooking class in high school, but I was scared of cooking with fire. I'm also scared of oil splatters ("wisik") until now so I draw the line at frying fish (fish is meant to be baked!). Anyway, I learned how to cook to survive since at some point Mom didn't have left overs anymore to send us and ordering food delivery can get expensive. And thank God for the person who invented electric stoves!

I now have a nice collection of recipes my family loves. I store it old-style handwritten on index cards and kept in a box. Sweetie started taking photos of the recipes to make sure they don't get lost (the beef stew they loved never happened again because I lost the recipe) and shuttling between countries require me to cook sometimes. So I've started to take videos of cooking my family's favorite dishes so that the next generation can learn.

The Spaghetti

It was my seatmate from work who taught me how to cook spaghetti. It was the only dish I knew how to cook for a decade (haha). Family and friends said they love it so I thought it should be the first recipe I should teach Miggy how to cook. Here's a video how to cook the sauce -



Ingredients:

2 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/2 kg ground beef
salt and pepper to taste
Del Monte Italian spaghetti sauce
1 can mushrooms (optional)
1/4 cup sliced black olives (optional)
1/2 cup grated cheese

How to cook:
1. Saute garlic and onions with basil, oregano and rosemary
2. Once onion is translucent add ground beef, salt and pepper.
3. When beef is a bit brown add the spaghetti sauce. Let cook for 10-15 minutes.
4. Add mushroom and mix then add the sliced black olives.
5. Mix in cheese and then turn off the heat.
*Make sure to cook your noodles before you cook the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment