Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Filipino Food Cravings

It feels like I've been away from home for about a year already, but it's just been about a month. I've been living in Singapore for about 9 months now, but I always start itching to go home just after a few days of being away. And I become badly homesick in about ten days. Good thing I've been so busy at work and it ain't so bad after awhile.

Aside from my loved ones, the gastronomic delights we have at home makes me want to take the first ride available back to the Philippines.

Longganisa - is our local sausage. Mind you though there are many different types found all over the country.  The photo below doesn't do justice to it (I cooked that at home), but everyday I think about the different types of longganisa we have back home -- Pampanga, Lucban, Vigan. And for the desperate like me, Jollibee's breakfast longganisa hits the spot too.



Crispy Pata - I kid not whenever I tell friends from other countries that we have a lot of cardiac delights in the Philippines. These are dishes that are usually pork-centric and high in cholesterol. And here's the perfect example of a cardiac delight - the crispy pata. Best eaten with special soy sauce + vinegar dip.



Sisig - oh my and this photo I took in Bataan a few years back. Traditional sisig is made out of ******* (best not to disclose) but it's sooo yummy. In restaurants in the city though they usually either use pork or chicken with chicharon. A lot of people eat sisig as pulutan (best with San Miguel Beer!), but I actually prefer to eat it with rice. Sisig also comes in many different types. I love the one in Davao because it has mayonnaise.



Manggang Hilaw with Bagoong - green mango with shrimp paste. I love eating green mango with bagoong and usually have ensalada whenever I eat in Filipino restos. Best matched with grilled food.



Plain `ol Barbecue - I can easily finish three sticks of barbecue in less than 5 minutes (considering I'm such a slow eater!). I don't think I'll ever tire of eating barbecue. And I miss eating isaw too.



And that's all about I can write about now because my tummy's grumbling in protest over seeing all these yummy food that's best eaten when I'm home.



6 comments:

  1. Tara ikain na natin ng Lunch yan! sa isang Pinoy cuisine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now im craving for manggang hilaw and bagoong. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living in Davao. My first shock when I arrived three years ago was when I went into a restaurant and picked up a menu. I didn't know any of it.
    Since, I have learned the foods and know what I like when I go out to eat.
    I also miss the foods of my home. I don't try to find them in Davao. When you get American foods here, they never taste the same as at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kakagutom! Why did I open this during the wee mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh... nakakagutom naman, i'm craving for sisig, hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meron pa din mga Pinoy food dyan sa SG, di ba? :) Tiis-tiis lang. :)

    ReplyDelete