Pages

Monday, March 28, 2022

Reviving my 2010 PC!

Now that we have most of our stuff in one place, Sweetie has been reviewing our old devices. He found the desktop I bought in 2010. It's still working, but it's still on Windows 7. The first thing we needed to do was get in, which meant remembering my password. The last time logged-in to it was more than 5 years ago! 

No, this isn't the desktop Sweetie is reviving. This is a desktop at the Computer History Museum in California. This was how my first desktop looked like. It was a hand-me-down from Kuya.


I got it on the second try! I was so pleased with myself for remembering the password hahaha. I didn't get it on the first try because Sweetie was using his keyboard. I had him plug in my keyboard and I guess I typed the password by instinct. Next step was to copy all of my files. It took about 7 to 8 hours to copy all the files. Whew!

And then Sweetie realized that the PC did not have wifi capability. Good thing Miggy had a wireless adaptor. Apparently those things still exist and you can buy new ones in Lazada/Shopee. Sweetie told me earlier that he's been able to upgrade my desktop to Windows 10 and will try to upgrade it to Windows 11 at a later time. 


I still prefer to use a Windows machine to manage my photos. I'm able to transfer photos from my camera through my Chromebook, but I'm able to do it faster if I use a Windows machine. I normally borrow Sweetie's old laptop to do it. I was seriously thinking of getting a netbook and I've been holding out because the expense isn't justifiable. Sweetie reviving my 2010 PC solves the problem. He said we'll just get a second hand monitor. Yes! Tipid! 

Ahhh, good thing I got a branded PC back in 2010. It's a Core i3 which is probably why it's still useful even 12 years after. If I get annoyed with it, I could always turn it into a Chromebook hrhrhr (hello Neverware!). Next thing to do is remove outdated apps like SmartBro, Picasa, SketchUp 8 etc. I had Skype on it because of Uncle Fumio. We had a call when we were preparing to visit them in Japan. That was circa 2014! 

Looking forward to having my desktop back. I abandoned it for a long time and didn't want to sell it since I thought I'd be back home sooner. I'm glad it's still working and I can use it again. Yay!

#BeKind #StaySafe #VoteWisely


No comments:

Post a Comment