Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2022

Memories of Yellow Confetti in Ayala

My Dad had a law office in one of the buildings in Ayala Avenue in the 80s. For many years I'd take the Love Bus with a Tita or Manong Percy from St. Scho to my Dad's office. The memory of cutting up old yellow pages popped in my mind when I was comforting a friend yesterday. 

As soon as I reached my Dad's office, my Mom would change my clothes and give me a pair of scissors to cut up pages upon pages of old yellow pages. Then at a certain time they'd open the window and have me throw out the yellow confetti. Many others from other windows and other buildings did the same. My parents explained to me that we were doing that as a sign of hope for freedom. Once that started, groups of people would go out and rally. 

I was only 8 years old when that happened. I'm glad my parents allowed me to participate during that time. I was very young, but I knew that it was important to protest and fight for freedom. I guess I remembered it because I had to reassure my friend not to worry about the situation. What the enemy hasn't realized is we are all fed up with the atrocities and we'll definitely fight for what we all deserve. 

I had all these pins before. It's still probably somewhere in my Mom's house.
Was so happy when I saw this collection at the Malacanan Palace Museum.


I told her that those rallies in the 80s were much smaller compared to what we're seeing now. People were also scared because you don't know if you're just going to get picked up and disappear in the night. We're able to freely speak out now and show support for our candidates. Back then you had to be very brave to voice out your displeasure because you can end up in jail (and lucky if it's just jail). Some of them were my Dad's friends and I got to spend an entire day traveling with them from Manila to Bicol. It was a firsthand experience story telling history lesson for me and Miggy. 

I reassured my friend that there's no space for the dark forces to succeed. Pinoys are very patient to a fault, but as they say, don't poke the bear. It's already awake. 

P.S. Because I spent so much time cutting up yellow pages, I got so fascinated with it and wanted to work for the company that made it. I eventually did! 

#BeKind #StaySafe #VoteWisely

No comments:

Post a Comment