Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Mom

Saw Basel's (The Hungry Syrian Wanderer) vlog last night. It was where he picked up his father from the airport. They hadn't seen each other for 10 years. Basel was sent by his parents to the Philippines to be safe from the war. Later on in the video Basel shared that he cried when he realized that his father had aged without him seeing it. 


I know how it feels. I didn't see my Mom for almost 2 years. When I finally saw her last November I was super surprised with the changes. She had lost a lot of weight and she seemed frail. I cried when I got home and had sleepless nights over it. Sister Lirio told me to do the best for her since she's already 86. I cried even more. 

I always believed my parents would be around forever. I lost my Dad 11 years ago and I still pine for him everyday. It took me awhile to accept the reality that my Mom needs more care now compared to two years ago. The first thing I did was have her health checked. She only needed vitamin D3 supplements.

I've now taken over managing her household. Much as I want her to live with me, she's refused and doesn't even want to spend a night in the room we prepared for her. She still wants to live independently and doesn't want to leave her home. My friends said that's how elderly people are, they just want to stay in their own home. 

There are two more things I need to do. One is to ensure that Mom will be protected and two, make sure that her house is safe. I've briefed the architect and engineer what needs improvement. It's been a few weeks since they checked the house and I hope they'll soon finish the plan. 

#BeKind #StaySafe #VoteWisely




No comments:

Post a Comment