Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Wellness Wednesdays: Breathe Deeply

 "Even as little as 10 to 15 minutes a day to deep breathing can help reduce stress and tension, lower blood pressure." - Harefuah Medical Journal

Breathing is an integral part of living. That was the first exercise I had to do after heart surgery. I was given a spirometer and it took me months before I could reach the volume my doctor wanted me to reach. Years later I had to befriend the spirometer again after I had PEs. Post-COVID I researched on what the boys could do to strengthen their lungs. It all boils down to breathing deeply. 

My Kuya told me that sometimes we forget to breathe. This can be caused by stress or an underlying condition. My doctor explained that we end up compensating by mouth breathing. This can cause other problems because you can easily ingest viruses/bacteria when you mouth breathe. And when you compensate you normally don't sleep well too. It took months before I was able to correct it and sleep properly. 




I get cranky and go out of commission whenever I have difficulty breathing. Yesterday when the heat crept up on me I suddenly found myself dizzy and having a hard time to breathe. Heat and oftentimes bad air usually triggers my asthma. Sometimes when I have an attack it takes days before I feel well again. My lungs are scarred that's why the boys are very protective of me. 

To strengthen my lungs I do deep breathing exercises at least thrice a day*. I do the 2-4 count, breathe in 2 counts, exhale in 4 counts. I do 4-7-4 when I want to breathe deeper. When I can't fall asleep, I do the 4-7-8 method, breathe in 4 counts, hold for 7 counts, exhale in 8 counts. Breathing deeply helps me relax and be calm, stabilize my heart rate and oxygen saturation. And there are many other benefits you can get from breathing deeply. 

As my respiratory doctor always said, "Breathe well and everything else will be well." :)

*If you had COVID-19, I read you should it hourly. Doc Willie has several exercise vids here.

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment