Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Suddenly Feeling My Age

It's funny how things can change overnight. My skin suddenly became dry and I felt itchy all over. My scalp was dry too. I started having dental issues. I continued to do my daily routines, drank my maintenance meds, but I just generally felt off. 

My friends warned me it would come. What I started feeling was definitely outside of my abnormally normal issues. I never had issues that required me to go to a dermatologist. My cardiologist declared I was perimenopausal many years ago. Everything was the same for me, so I just went on and focused on my other medical issues. 




Anyway, I couldn't sleep because I felt itchy all over. I did some research and found out that at my age estrogen production starts reducing. Estrogen helps keep your skin moisturized. I know I need to see my OB soon, but while waiting I tried to find ways to keep the symptoms at bay.

Apparently, the usual toiletries you use won't work anymore. I read that regular soap will act like detergent on your skin. The same goes for your shampoo. You need to use soap for sensitive skin. I couldn't find any Neutrogena soap, but found Grandma's Lye Soap (for sensitive skin). I was surprised to find out that Perla now has a bath soap variant. They both have reduced itching. Of course, I slather on Vaseline deep restore lotion after taking a bath. No more itchy itchy!

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my scalp. I got a bottle of Johnson's baby shampoo and so far that has helped. I have been using a shampoo and conditioner bar the past few months. It used to work well, but now my scalp is drying too. So far Johnson's baby shampoo works better for me. 

I'm glad I have friends who have gone through this ahead of me. There's a lot more information available online as well, but having girlfriends helps a lot more :)

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment