Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2021

Lung Strengthening Exercises

It's a beautiful day today here in Singapore. The sky is clear, the air quality is good. It would have been a good day to go to the park. It's Sunday so it would probably be a bit crowded. The number of cases confirmed every day has been pretty constant. It's really concerning because now cases are showing up on our side of the island. So we stay home.

I had cardiac catheterization early this month to find out the cause of my SOB*. It was a blessing in disguise because it forced us to stay home for two weeks. I usually drop by a store after seeing my doctor to buy fruits, but my mobility was limited because of the wound. It's been home-doctor-home for me the last few weeks. If not for the procedure we would've likely been exposed. 

My favorite physiotherapist has gone back to her country. I've been on my own since she left. I think rehabilitation is really important especially if you had lung illness (i.e. pulmonary embolism, pneumonia or COVID19). My PT helped improve my breathing even though I originally went to her to fix my back issues. Before she left she explained that I should strengthen my shoulders also because it supports my lungs. So here are the daily exercises I do to strengthen my lungs:

Wall push-ups (see this vid)

Band pull aparts, sitting down and pull apart band with your arm bent 

Arm exercises with a dumbbell (something like this)

Stationary bike, 1 minute on, 1 minute off, 5 reps (hope we get our stationary bike delivered soon!)

If you're out of shape just do first what you can manage and work your way up. I started doing wall push-ups after my PE** was diagnosed in January and I started with just 3 push-ups per day. Now I do 15 in the morning and 10 in the evening. It's been a very slow recovery, but at least I can do some house chores now like wash dishes and cook 1-2 times a week. I still have a long way to go, but I make sure I move around at home since we can't really go out for now. 

Of course, check with your doctor if you should be doing these exercises :)


CB///*Yr2/43  #StuckAtHomeDay/Yr2/70 #StayHome #BeKind 


*SOB - shortness of breath

**PE - pulmonary embolism

No comments:

Post a Comment