Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2022

Throwback Thursdays: Sunset Walks in Taipei

I loved going to Taiwan. I felt a different kind of affinity the first time I went there. It might be because my paternal grandmother is Chinese. I never got to know her since she passed away when my Dad was a child. All I know is she's Chinese, eloped with my grandfather and had 9 children. Daddy was the youngest so it was really hard to get much information about her. Friends in Taiwan said they could possibly help find my relatives, but my grandma's maiden last name is fairly common there. 

I used to visit Taiwan 3 to 4 times a year. I loved going there because you can find a bubble tea shop every few meters! I usually stayed in a hotel near Taipei 101 since the office was there. In the mornings I would take a taxi to the office, but walk back to the hotel when I went home. I usually leave the office just before sunset.



From the office I would walk through several malls until I reached the hotel. The ten minute walk would usually take me 30 to 45 minutes since I would stop to window shop. I would usually buy N95 masks in one of the shops that sold Japanese goods. Then I would buy dinner and bubble tea at the food court near the hotel. 


Rain or shine gotta keep moving.


What I liked though about walking back to the hotel are the beautiful sunsets. They always reminded me of the sunsets back in Manila. I would usually chance upon the sunset at the long bridgeway near the hotel. I would usually stop to admire it before continuing my walk. That was why I never bothered wearing high heels and always brought my trusty Rusty Lopez shoes that had arch support. 

One of the malls near the hotel.


I never got to go around the tourist spots in Taipei (and across Taiwan). I didn't want to visit without the boys. I only got to see the famous Sun Yat Sen memorial hall from the window office (70+ floors up!). I did go to the night market once with Shin-yi. Never went on my own since I wanted it to be a fresh experience when I could go with the boys. 

Well, we don't really know when we can travel again. Flights to Taiwan are just less than two hours, so it should be doable in the future when things are safer for everyone. In the meantime I'll just keep those sunset walks as a happy memory.

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment