Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Down Time, How I Reduced My Online Time and Saved Myself

How did you survive the FB and IG down time? Haha. I wasn't aware of it until Miggy told us. We were watching Pepsi half-time videos on YouTube. I used to get so anxious when platforms have an outage or when there's no internet at home. Now I look forward to it haha.

I realized why I look forward to flights. The longer the flight the better for me. Why? Because you're forced to be offline. I feel it's the only time when everything goes silent. I can sew, write or read without distractions. 

And that's what my doctor ordered me to do after I got warded last December. He repeatedly told me to stay offline. I was probably too wired up and stressed, my body broke down. I turned on the well-being controls on my phone and saw how much time I was spending online and on different platforms.

Honestly, it took four months before I calmed down. That's how bad it was and the only way I relaxed was to stay offline. My brain was on overdrive and it took four months for it to go back to base. Staying offline and controlling my online time was the best thing I did for myself. 

Fave plane ride, Hello Kitty flight from Taiwan to Tokyo!


In my mind I always go back to the time when everything was offline. While having information at the tip of your fingertips anytime is good, it can also be bad. I realized the solution is to just go online when needed or indulge only at certain times of the day. 

It's hard to do in the beginning, but you can start it as a micro-habit. Begin with turning on the well-being controls on your phone. Limit the time you spend on platforms and work your way up to your "online time goal". It will also help to define other activities you want to do that doesn't involve a device. For me it's sewing, reading and working on my journal. 

Less mind clutter, the better :)


CB////*Yr2/178 #StuckAtHomeDay/Yr2/199 #NewG269 #Home28 #Xmas82 #StayHome #BeKind

No comments:

Post a Comment