Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2021

My Sew-thing Hobby

I'm really grateful that my Mom taught me how to sew. It's one of her hobbies which she passed on to me. My Mama Lola also did a lot of sewing when she lived with us. She's the one who taught me how to use a sewing machine. My skills though are still far from what my Mom and Mama Lola could do. So like anything I do I set to learn new skills as I go along. 


Sewing is the perfect hobby for people like me. I want to do a lot, but my body is just uncooperative haha. I'll probably remember 2021 as the year when I progressed my quilting skills. I had to really use the sewing machine Sweetie bought for me because my fingers and arm started to hurt a lot from hand quilting (#signsofoldage). I joined several online quilting groups and also learned about tools and equipment I could use to make things easier.

I haven't really done a lot since I've had to pace myself, but I'm happy with the little experiments I've done so far. Here's a round-up -

Harry Potter Quilt Blanket for Jomar and Celine (2-year delayed wedding gift!)

http://aileenstitching.blogspot.com/2021/07/harry-potter-quilt-blanket.html

Personalized CD Case, made this for my huge collection of scans lol

http://aileenstitching.blogspot.com/2021/06/easy-diy-quilted-cd-case.html


Tote bag, made this to show it off to my doctor, also wanted to see how I could integrate embroidery into my projects

http://aileenstitching.blogspot.com/2021/05/quilted-tote-bag-for-sewing-enthusiasts.html


Shophouse pillowcase, I plan to make this into a collection for my future home

http://aileenstitching.blogspot.com/2021/07/shophouse-quilt-sampler.html


Pinwheel lap quilt, started this project to learn shortcuts to making lap quilts

http://aileenstitching.blogspot.com/2021/09/how-to-make-pinwheel-lap-quilt-fast.html


My Mom sews so fast by hand. I don't know how she does it. She could finish a throw pillow case in less than a day! I guess it's because I get distracted easily by other things lol. Anyway, I enjoy sewing because it also helps me to calm down. I feel productive when my hands are busy. To make sure I don't sit around sewing the whole day I usually put my water bottle on the other side of the room to force me to stand up often. Para-paraan :)

I also enjoy making tutorials of my learnings. Please check out the vids here.

Happy Sunday everyone! 

CB////*Yr2/175 #StuckAtHomeDay/Yr2/196 #NewG272 #Home31 #Xmas85 #StayHome #BeKind

No comments:

Post a Comment