Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2021

The Millennial Mindset

I have a whole bunch of nephews and nieces who are in their 20s and early 30s. All of them were born between 1987 to 1996 and they fall under generation Y. The millennial generation. Well, Miguel falls under this generation too. 

They're all grown-up now. 


I know there's been a lot of grumbling about the millennial generation. They do things very differently. One thing I noticed is their ability to simply do what they want. One example I can think of is choosing your college degree. In my generation what you take up in university is largely influenced by your parents. Shifting courses or even schools wasn't the norm. 

I tried the GenX way with Miguel. It didn't work. He shifted courses and schools several times before he finished his studies. The same happened with my nephews and nieces. After graduation most of them did not want to have a full-time job (with exception to the doctor and teachers in the fam). The idea drove me crazy. 

I couldn't fathom the idea of hopping from one gig to another to earn a living. Growing up I learned to follow the normal process of graduating and finding a good job to sustain your needs. Take vacations and breaks when you have time. My millennial fam though, they work and do everything they like doing while earning a living. And I could see they're happier. 

As I journey to fulfill my quest to financial freedom, I realized that the millennial mindset of enjoying life while earning makes a lot of sense. It honestly took me two years to understand this. One of my nieces actually became a millionaire in her mid-20s. In my mid-20s I didn't even have any savings. 

So that's how I finally understood a bit about how my millennial family does things. I've been warning my friends who have younger kids to expect that they'd be doing things very differently. As a GenX parent to a millennial, ahhh it will really drive you crazy haha. 

CB///363  #StuckAtHomeDay/Yr2/26 #StayHome #BeKind   

No comments:

Post a Comment