Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Happy People Coping Habits

I just had a nice chat with some friends. We were supposed to plan for an event, but ended up sharing to each other how we've been coping with the pandemic. Just staying home day in, day out is hard! Aristotle said,

“Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human. Society is something that precedes the individual. Anyone who either cannot lead the common life or is so self-sufficient as not to need to, and therefore does not partake of society, is either a beast or a god. ”

Happy times with my childhood friends.

We are meant to socialize and even introverts have friends too! For many summers growing up my Mom kept me busy at home. She taught me many different crafts. Eventually I became a teenager and started to prefer hanging out with friends. Fast-forward to our current situation made me realize that those summers I spent with my Mom is helping me cope better.

Here's a list of things my friends and I have been doing at home to cope -

1. Playing an instrument/learn to play an instrument

That week when I had to rest I brought out my old recital piece and tried to re-master it. My hands were very, very rusty. I only made progress with 2 pages of the 11 page piece. I spent 2 hours playing the piano. It was fun and relaxing for me. My friend bought herself a portable keyboard and got a subscription to learn how to place. We're looking forward to her first recital next month (over Google Meets of course).


2. Cooking childhood favorites/learning to cook favorite local food

My friend's husband has been cooking a lot for them and he made one of his childhood favorites for her -- misua. For me I want to learn how to make hardinera. It's a dish I think originally from Lucban. We used to eat it at the original Buddy's restaurant near the church in Lucban. I've been researching for the best recipe to try.

3. Create your own happiness photobook

I showed my friends the photobook I had printed recently and they thought others may be encouraged to create their own too.



4. Baking

I have friends who have been baking tarts, cookies, pastries, pies etc. I normally bake cookies and cupcakes. Now I'm learning to bake Pinoy bread. It's so satisfying to eat it after so many hours of waiting for the bread to be ready for baking.

5. Planting, it's a #plantdemic!

There's something about nurturing something from scratch that's so satisfying. I take mini-breaks during the day and hang out with the plants on the balcony. I think they like it when I check on them several times a day. I give them a lot of encouragement to grow and be healthy.

I think the most important thing to do is really take care of your well-being at this time. Do things you love and rest as needed. If you need help, don't hesitate to contact family/friends.



#CB51 #WFH41   #StuckAtHomeDay82 #StayHome #BeKind 

No comments:

Post a Comment