Pages

Sunday, October 15, 2023

Contentment

"I know indeed how to live in humble circumstances; I know also how to live with abundance. In every circumstance and in all things I have learned the secret of being well fed and of going hungry, of living in abundance and of being in need."

- Philippians 4:12




I've been told once that I didn't have dreams. I told the person that if I didn't have dreams, then perhaps I wouldn't have pursued working for a global company. Back then my goals were very simple. Give Miggy the best life and eventually find my one true love. I also eventually wanted to have my own car and house. 

I guess I've always just been content with what I have and never really dreamed of extravagant things. My parents never spoiled me and Kuya taught me to be practical. I choose things based on function and comfort, not on brand or what's trending. It takes me at least 2 years to buy a device/appliance, or I only replace it if something is not working. 

I remember my parents also taught me the Filipino saying, "Hangga't makitid ang kumot, matutong mamaluktot."* It is really best to live below your means. No sense in being buried in debt just to acquire something that you want. I learned that the hard way when I paid my grad school tuition with my credit card. I only got lucky when Titay gave me money to pay it because she was able to collect a loan. After that I learned and never used my card for something I couldn't really pay in full when the bill comes. 

I'm especially more careful now that I am retired. I'm lucky because my boys seem content to just stay home with me. We're so busy at home, oftentimes the day isn't enough to do things we like doing. Be content and be happy. Just always believe that Papa God will provide you with everything.

Have a blessed Sunday my friend. 

*If your blanket is too short, bend your legs so it fits you."

No comments:

Post a Comment