Pages

Saturday, October 21, 2023

My New Herb Garden

I was overwhelmed when we visited Mahogany Market. Since it was a last minute trip I wasn't able to make a list of the plants I wanted to get. I just knew I wanted to buy something that I couldn't grow. I've been trying to grow herbs since I arrived, so I ended up getting herbs.

I waited two weeks before I posted to see if they would survive the heat here. It's much cooler in Tagaytay and everything is overall better for plants there (sun, soil, water etc.). Here's what I got -

Dill, Sunflower, Basil (top)
Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme (bottom)


Lemon Basil, Peppermint, Hydrocotyle vulgaris (top)
Serpentine, Spearmint, Rosemary (bottom)

Also got parsley because the parsley I grew last year wilted away (I got sick and wasn't able to water the plants).  





I honestly struggled to figure out how much water and sun they needed. I researched each and every plant one night (I have a spreadsheet!). I'm glad I have a soil meter and I've been using it everyday to determine if they need water. Unfortunately, the basil and sunflower I think are not going to make it. They were really affected by the extreme heat. 

Most of the other herbs have adjusted well and we water it in the morning. I normally check in the afternoon which ones are dry and that's what I water. It takes a bit of time, but I've sent so many herbs back to the earth in the past and I vowed to make it work!

Since most of the herbs are growing nicely, I might try to propagate some. I plan to put those I propagate in the vertical garden. That place gets morning sun and it would be nice to fill it up with herbs since that's what I had it built for. Hopefully Grogu won't climb up and eat my plants! 

#BeKind #StaySafe


No comments:

Post a Comment