Pages

Monday, October 30, 2023

Had Our 10-Year Old 2-Seater Sofa Reupholstered

We've only ever bought 2 sofas in the past 13+ years Sweetie and I have been together. We originally used a sala set from Sweetie's home in Marikina for a few years. We bought a 2-seater sofa when we moved to our condo ten years ago. The space was small, so that's the only thing that fit. The second sofa we bought when we were in Singapore. It was convertible into a bed and we got to enjoy it for a few years. Unfortunately, we had to leave it in the last place we rented.





We enjoyed using the 2-seater sofa. We pulled it out from the condo and have been using it at home. I had many restful naps on it. It was also the only sofa we had since we moved. It became a prime spot in our family room, hahaha. Eventually, it broke down. One of the legs snapped. Miggy was able to replace the legs with a new set. It worked, but the foam also softened up. Sitting on it gave us backaches. 

So, I had the sofa re-upholstered together with Mom's sala set. The cost is honestly more expensive than buying a new one, but I figured it would be more eco-friendly to reupholster it. The structure of the sofa was also still pretty solid. I chose the same fabric color. You'd only know it's new because the foam is back to being solid. I napped on it a couple of times already since it was delivered, haha. 


Using one of Mom's quilt blankets to cover part of the sala set. 



Few things I learned about getting your sofa re-upholstered:

1. Find a reputable and trustworthy company. I first searched on FB and sent several inquiries. I decided on one a few weeks later, but when I tried to find the company page and messages again, it was gone. 

2. Don't search on FB, search on Google Maps. Most of those I found on FB were far from where I live and well since they didn't seem to be trustworthy, I went and searched for upholstery service near me on Google Maps. I found two that seemed promising. I researched about them and even went to see the one near me. I contacted both by calling them up and decided to go for the one a bit farther from me since the company seemed to be more established. 

3. Choosing fabric can be overwhelming. We at least knew what kind of fabric and color to choose. That made it easier for us to decide on what to use. 

4. Ask about payment and delivery schedules. The company forgot to inform me that I was supposed to pay 50% down in cash. I don't keep that much cash in my wallet, so they agreed to receive payment via GCash. They required me to pay in cash when the items were delivered.

5. Get to know the crew if you have a chance to meet them. That way you can also gauge how much experience they have doing upholstery work. Mang Jojo said he's been with the company for over a decade now. He was also able to assess that Mom's sala set was made of solid wood and would last a long time. 

Overall, I think getting our sofa and Mom's sala set re-upholstered was a good decision. It would have probably cost us four times the cost to purchase a new 2-seater sofa and a 5-piece sala set. We had been scouting for a set for our home for many months now and I just couldn't justify the cost. Mom would be very happy to know that we eventually took her sala set. She would have been very disappointed if we just let it go. :)

#BeKind StaySafe


No comments:

Post a Comment