Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2024

Were You Part of the Happy Savers Club?

I was a young child when my Mom opened a savings account for me. The Happy Savers Club was a promo of a bank meant to encourage young children to start saving. I don't remember when my Mom closed the account, but the last balance was 231 pesos, haha. She eventually opened a proper account for me.




My Mom was a banker. She retired because of me. I was a handful to take care of since birth and that forced her to retire. She told me her first job was a bank teller and she eventually moved to the bank's headquarters. She loved going to the bank and I was always in tow. That's how I learned and became comfortable doing banking errands. 

Mom's way of teaching was always practical. She used newspapers to teach me how to reach. I remember she'd have me read the headline out loud everyday. That's what she did with banking chores. She had me fill out the bank slips for my accounts. 

When she opened a new account for me after the Happy Savers Club, she told me to have a goal. I don't know when I declared that I was going to save for my future wedding. I mostly deposited gifts and savings from my allowance. The account grew very slowly. I eventually didn't use it for my wedding, I used it to pay for graduate school tuition. 

It was worth spending my lifelong savings for schooling. It really helped me progress in my career and helped me make smarter decisions for me and my family. 

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment