Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Beating the Heat

Oh boy, it's been like an inferno the past few days. I've been staying indoors in a cool place and keeping hydrated to make sure I don't get heat stroke or heat exhaustion. Since I had heart surgery and my PEs I've been very sensitive to heat. Just a few seconds of heat has been disastrous for me. 




Here's what we do to beat the heat:

  • Use the air conditioner - my threshold is 30'C. I'm like grocery items that have to be kept in a cool place below 30'C. LOL. That's the reason why we installed solar panels in our home. It really helps us with the electricity bill. I told a friend yesterday, it's better to use your A/C than get sick and pay expensive medical bills. 
  • Stay hydrated - I had the misfortune of having UTI last week. I think I got dehydrated while watering plants (the irony noh) and so I got sick. I'm now making sure I drink water more often. I'm trying to hit 3 liters per day. 
  • Drink buko juice - we drink buko juice at least once a week. It's better than drinking sugary juices since it gives a lot of benefits for your body. It's an energy booster too!
  • Fans, fans, fans! - I think we have more fans than rooms in our house. We also have rechargeable fans in case of emergency (no electricity). Air circulators which we discovered recently have been very useful. I honestly like them better than huge stand fans. 
  • Water your plants after sunset - my pulmo reminded me to stay out of the sun for now. I mentioned it to him I moved my plant watering time to after sunset. He said that works well since the water doesn't just evaporate with the sun. 
  • Lighter meals - we're on a meal plan five days a week. I avoid eating heavily on the other two days.
  • Avoid caffeine - I normally have two cups of coffee everyday. A hot one for breakfast, iced in the afternoons. Or milk tea in the afternoon. Since the temperature started hitting >31'C I switched to drinking juice in the afternoons. 
  • Wear light comfortable cotton clothes - I've ditched wearing t-shirts and wear sleeveless shirts now. Good thing I inherited some sandos from Miggy (I got a bunch and didn't know they were too small). 
Take care of yourself and your family. I hope the heat doesn't get worse!

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment