Pages

Friday, November 19, 2021

The Thing that Wrecked Our World

For the first time since I got home, I had a hard time sleeping last night. I was tired from my afternoon's activities (doing laundry), but I couldn't sleep because my boys ordered milk tea for dinner. Promptly felt unwell after and it took a long time before I fell asleep. 


One of the last things I watched last night was the news. I got to listen to yesterday's tirade about a presidential candidate. Twitter was so much alive with comments and opinions regarding this issue. The struggle for power is very much apparent in the past few weeks. 

And that's what politics is all about. Harold Lasswell, a political scientist, defines politics as "who gets what, when and how" (source). Spiderman's famous quote, "With great power comes great responsibility," says it all. The problem comes when power is mixed with greed. When leaders make bad, selfish decisions we all suffer. One good example is climate change caused by rapid urbanization and irresponsible disposal of waste. 

I remain hopeful though because there are still good leaders and people who are working on initiatives that could help. There's the Ocean Cleanup supported by well-known vloggers Mr. Beast and Mark Rober. They previously started the tree planting project. Huge projects like these will help our planet. It's a way to correct bad decisions that were made by people who were drugged with power. 


I've been thinking about this for awhile now because I'm trying to understand what we can do. As we have seen in the past year we can step up when needed, i.e. the community pantries. The idea was easily picked up by volunteers across the country. The first order of the day though is for us to elect the leader that has the best intention for us. Someone who is not weighed down with their own personal agendas, but is really sincere in serving. 

And for now we can think about what big, hairy goals we can do to help and work on what we can contribute individually :)


#Home16 #NewG228 #Xmas36 #StayHome #BeKind  

No comments:

Post a Comment