Pages

Saturday, January 13, 2024

Trimmed Jack the Philodendron, Now I have 3!

I nicknamed the philodendron Ate Rose gave me as "Jack". It kept growing taller and reminded me of Jack and the Beanstalk. I planted the philodendron cutting Ate Rose gave me last June in a huge pot. I put the two cuttings together since I wasn't sure it would survive. 

It survived and eventually surpassed the plant pole. I added a longer bamboo to support it. Jack strangely grew much taller during my 3 week hospital stay. He probably got a lot more watering from Sweetie. I also had added some soil and compost to it before I got sick, so that's probably why it grew a lot. 


Jack the Philodendron, June 2023 (newly planted) vs. early January 2024


By early January, Jack had reached the roof. I had to act fast since I didn't want the roots to attach to the roof. Since we were planning to add some plants indoors, I thought I could trim Jack and plant it in a new pot. That's what I did last Monday. One stalk was really long, so I cut it in two and planted them in one pot. This is what I'll put indoors. The third stalk I planted in another pot. This one will stay outside my craft room. Hopefully it won't burn since it will get a bit more sunlight. 

And, if the three pots of philodendrons grow tall again I'll just give away the cuttings. Jack the philodendron has been easy to manage. Just water daily and add soil plus a bit of compost or fertilizer when you remember to. I spray it with neem oil once a week since critters love to eat the leaves. Just make sure it only gets indirect sunlight since the leaves may burn.

There's still so much to re-pot. I'll fix my succulents next and then I'll deal with the pothos. 

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment