Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Happy Lunar New Year!

Gong Xi Fa Cai!



Missing Singapore a lot today. We used to buy a lot of special CNY snacks while we were there. My favorite was the love letters which is almost the same as our barquillos. Also miss the pineapple tarts from Taiwan. In Singapore all our neighbors would decorate their homes, much like how we decorate for Christmas. 

Chinatown, Singapore


One thing I noticed in Singapore, groceries would set up tents outside of their stores. It's where you can buy beverages and snacks in bulk. Brands would also sell their items in special packages and sizes. They did this for the reunions that happen all over the city. I read they are celebrating differently this year since the number of cases since we left have gone up. I hope they can still have a joyful celebration. 

In 2020, I still got to experience the lion dance. They brought a team to the office and the lion went around to bring good luck to everyone. I was lucky to catch it pass by our area and here's a short video of it -


Best place though to feel the CNY spirit is at Chinatown. They usually go overboard to decorate. They still did in 2020, but more simple in 2021. In 2021, there were a lot of shops that closed down already. I wasn't able to visit Chinatown anymore. It was a favorite place we'd go to after hearing mass. There's a Din Tai Fung there that we used to frequent. Of course, one of my favorite craft shops is in Chinatown too. 

In, time I'm sure we'll get to re-trace our steps and visit our old haunts again. In the meantime, I hope everyone is having a great lunar new year!

#BeKind #StayHome

No comments:

Post a Comment