Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Harvested Tumeric

It was July 2022 when a friend sent me a huge bag of tumeric. I don't really use it for cooking, but I kept some to see if they would grow. I propagated it and it grew properly. In early 2023 though we had renovations done in our home and my tumeric plants did not survive. I left the pots under the bamboo tree. Few months later they re-grew! 

I re-potted the tumeric in bigger pot together with ginger. After two months I noticed the leaf started to yellow. I found it turned brown the other day. I read that's when you should harvest tumeric or ginger, when the leaves turn brown




Got my shovel and pulled out the tumeric. I washed it down with a hose to remove the soil and then cleaned it further in the kitchen. It was really interesting to see how one knob created more tumeric. It also looked like it was going to create more if the leaves didn't die too early. 

I'm so happy with how this experiment turned out. I still don't use tumeric, so I'll try to propagate this again and give it away if it grows. I have friends who use tumeric when they cook. I'll wait and see if the ginger I re-potted will give a good harvest. 

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment