Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Due in 9 Years

I've got less than 9 years till my deadline. What's this crazy deadline? A bet my Kuya and I did. And it's all about acquiring financial freedom!

Back in 2004 my Kuya asked me, "What are your plans to acquire financial freedom?" I told him then that I wanted to become a consultant so that I can earn some regular income while I'm building my export business. I projected that I'd be a consultant by 2006 and then I'd be exporting by 2015. My Kuya looked at me and said, "Fair enough. Let's make a bet. You should have completed all those by the age of 40 and me when I'm 50." (My Kuya is 13 years older than me).

At that time, I had no idea how I would become a consultant. I was very busy then with the launch of LUK4 and cooking up plans to re-launch E-Yellowpages as well. Who'd have known I'd meet my 2006 deadline? I quit my job at the yellow pages, moved on to a satellite TV provider, then became consultant for a property developer and then a search engine. All in one year! Whew!

I've been so caught up with work, but mind you I've been thinking about my 2015 deadline! And I've thought of doing an e-commerce business (which may be considered an export business when you're clients are abroad), but I haven't figured out what product to sell yet, it definitely has to be something that interests me.

I learned though from the Think Rich Pinoy seminar that you have to have different revenue streams, so I thought about maybe investing in the stock market/bonds or what have you (I'm attending a workshop on this early next week) or maybe look into the franchise market as well. I've read some stuff about this on Entrepreneur Magazine and I'm also looking for an interesting Singapore Franchise Opportunity.

I should really start working on this personal mission of mine. My Kuya already inaugurated his first venture, a dorm located in Naga City - if you see a very pink building called Apolo Bldg. along Ateneo Avenue in Naga, that's my Kuya's building! Hehe.

Any ideas?

*Kuya - what Filipinos call an older brother

10 comments:

  1. Nice blog and an informative one..

    why dont you take a look on an outsourcing business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:25 AM

    I applaud your can do attitude. The only problem in E commerce you can't use paypal or other similar programs here in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is an encouraging story. i also got my own date goal for financial freedom. i found some books which would help me guide in achieving that goal. try reading this book - Retire Young, Retire Rich by Robert Kiyosaki(and Robert's other books too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @leah tm - thank you leah! I think it's really important to have several revenue streams. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @zoul1380 - thanks! :)

    @dick - there are many local e-payment providers locally like kaban.com.ph. It's just a matter of really starting something out now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, i do agree with you. a stream of income is needed. you can also read these books "Multiple Streams of Income" and "Multiple Streams of Internet Income" by Robert Allen.BTW, can i also be one of your friends?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Aileen! Check out "The Secret" DVD-- available in video stores. There's actually a book about it-- more in the line of creating abundance, but it's beautifully put together-- enough to get your dreams become extremely tangible-- something I'd put as essential vitamins for life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @baguiodweller - I've heard of that DVD from one of the bloggers. Hmmm, I should get a copy!

    BTW, I'm planning to do a roadshow in Baguio. Are up to planning a blogger meet-up there? That is if you are based in Baguio.

    Checking your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:55 PM

    Hi, Aileen. I've been hearing so much about you through my sis Sasha (no worries, though - she hasn't said anything about you, just that your name keeps popping up in her blog entries and photos ;-)). So, yeah, decided to say hello and read some of your blog entries.

    Really impressed with your 'go get 'em' attitude here. And, yes, when you do make goals and have some kind of accountability for these things, you do tend to meet your aspirations.

    ReplyDelete