In the corporate world though attending trade shows could be a drag, especially if you’re marketing a product that you are not passionate about (and basically you’ll really hate it if you’re not passionate about your job). I used to be a product manager and I had to trickle down my enthusiasm to my staff in order to meet my goals (and break-even!). Believe me, my boss was soooo strict and I had to make sure that the money that we spent would come back. I didn’t want to get beaten to death, so I made sure that I had fun and my staff had a fabulous time.
I’m kinda stuck in another trade show right now. It’s just me and my lovely laptop. Forgot to bring a book, so I have to entertain myself by blogging offline (no wifi here!) and reminiscing what I used to do with my staff. And these are what I remember:
(1) Eat. A lot. Make your staff happy by feeding them right. Hungry soldiers won’t win you a war.
(2) Be happy. No matter how boring things get, happy thoughts would keep you awake.
(3) Know your goals. I know there are times that you’d be quite lazy to mingle with clients or co-exhibitors. It’s a fact. But knowing your goals for joining will push you to meet it. There’s no replacement for the warm, fuzzy feeling of success.
(4) Be alert. Don’t a judge a book by its cover. The little mousy nerdy person asking you stuff may be your next big client.
(5) Be friendly. There would be annoying nuisances, stalkers and what-have-you, but being masungit won’t get you anywhere.
Hohumm. I miss my colleagues especially Dave, Jap, Ruth, Eugene and Haydee. We used to have a helluva lot of fun before. I hope they’re doing great.
Make sure you’re trade show participation breaks even. Head on over to Stitching as I reveal the secrets to profiting from your trade show participation.
wow... parang japanese teenager ang get up ahh... hehehehe... with the matching peace sign. naka boots pa. hehehe..ReplyDelete
7) If all else fails, just get as much goodies from the other exhibitors hehe - NinoyReplyDelete
@reyian - grrrrr! hehehe. girls just wanna have fun! hihihi.ReplyDelete
@Ninoy - You're right! But after all the trade shows I've been to I'm immune to those stuff already :)
hi there... lam mo in my previous job during the management meeting the CTO said he will invite a former German intern to join them in the show, why? To attract the men. Verbatim yan. I was the only female in the room I nearly fell off my chair!ReplyDelete
Too bad I didn't get the chance to visit, sana next time. =)ReplyDelete
@markku - no worries. dami pa yan :)ReplyDelete