Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

What I Would've Been if I Wasn't a Marketer

Believe it or not I have degrees in AB-Political Science and BS-Legal Management. I never practiced it. I almost did, but the corporate world lured me away and since I had responsibilities I had to go for the bigger pay.

Now looking back, if I had stuck on and practiced being a political scientist I would’ve been a professor at DLSU and a staff at the Senate. It’s been ten years and I never really thought about it since. (feeling guilty tsktsktsk)

At a young age I was exposed to “political stuff”. My Dad’s a lawyer and a former judge, the first barangay captain in our place (I was still a baby then) and we usually had discussions on national issues at the dining table and we were encouraged to join the Parish Pastoral Council for Responsible Voting (PPCRV) during elections. I know that sounds so nerdy, but it was part of our training and my Dad was hoping that I’d follow his footsteps. Unfortunately, I’m too kikay and I felt my calling was really for marketing albeit my Polsci and LM training helps a lot in my work now.

But then one reason why I shifted also was the fact that I always felt angry. I was just not cut out for it. I don’t watch that much TV because whenever I see features and documentaries about our country, I’d end up crying. Geez.

Anyway, last weekend I tagged along with my friends to watch a campaign sortie and I remembered the days when I was actively helping out my mom when she was part of the secretariat of then Senate President Jovito R. Salonga’s bid for the presidency. It wasn’t an easy task. Logistics and effective marketing & PR was the name of the game.

Volunteers were running about, making sure everything was okay. The press people were taking catnaps during the trip, ready to run when needed. Supporters were always alert. Hmmm… looking at the weekend, things were quite fun and I salute the tireless staff and volunteers of these campaigns.

I would’ve been one of them, trailblaizing across the nation to put in office a deserving, honest and talented official. I wonder though if I could put up with all the craziness of a campaign trail.

Protect your rights, don’t forget to vote on May 14.

Translations
Kikay – girly

No comments:

Post a Comment