Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Are You Techno-Stressed?

I realized early this morning that I haven't opened the magazine I bought 5 days ago. I also couldn't remember where I placed it. And I thought that it was a very bad sign. I also realized that I've been spending too much time online.

I found the magazine still in the plastic bag where the vendor put it on the rocking chair in my sala. It took me a while before I managed to leaf through the magazine since I had to clear out some stuff first. When I finally managed to rip off the plastic and leaf through the mag, one of the few articles I managed to browse through was a feature about "techno stress".

With all the gadgets available today I don't think one would feel bored. I remember when I was a kid I would be so bored out of my skull during Holy Week because there wasn't anything on TV and the radio stations where also on vacation. Today there's cable, the internet and those gaming gadgets you can distract yourself with when the whole country shuts down for the Holy Week. I therefore conclude, one cannot live without a battery operated gadget on hand.

I think here are some sure signs that a person is techno-stressed:

1. You get anxious being offline within 2 hours of logging off.
2. You just absolutely need to check your email every 15 minutes.
3. You turn on your PC/laptop upon waking up (and you do it before going to the bathroom).
4. If you blog, you think about how you're going to post an experience while you are still experiencing it.
5. You leave your PC on the whole night so you could multi-task while you are sleeping.
6. At a cafe/resto, the first thing you ask the waiter is, "Do you have free wifi?"
7. You're reading this post on a Sunday night... hahaha... gotcha!

Can you think about other signs?

I know I've been techno-stressed lately, so this are some remedies I'm trying to take:

1. I try to stay online only during "work hours".
2. I've been looking at doing pre-internet-addiction activities again.
3. Making time to read books (not e-books!).
4. Spending time with my pets.
5. And I try to stay offline during weekends.

What about you? What do you do?

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:17 PM

    1 & 2 - sometimes
    3 - every couple of days, while making my am coffee, does that count, hehehe
    4 - very often
    5 & 6 - not at all
    7 - very rarely, nahuli mo pa ako ngayon hehehe

    so i wouldn't say i'm totally techno-stressed (or i may be in denial, hehehe!) but during times when i do feel that, i clean, do gardening, cook :) there's so much to do at home, actually :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume No. 5 is not your personal experience but someone close you know. *wink*

    I'm kinda guilty on all accounts. But do I consider myself techno-stressed ? Not really... I'd say tech-maximization. Use the technology to your fullest extent.

    I try to pursue my offline activities as well... problem is some of them require a computer. I'm glad I have a ton of books lined up to read. At least I can bring it to the bank while waiting cause I'm sure my laptop is gonna be stopped by security.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:26 AM

    guilty here...lately though I make sure I have offline hours kasi I paid the bills (magtipid sa kuryente haha)and I allot time for my guitar and spent quality moments with the boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:14 PM

    Waaaa. I am TECHNO-STRESSED!

    1. You get anxious being offline within 2 hours of logging off.
    [very true, especially now that I run my forum (batch forum)]

    2. You just absolutely need to check your email every 15 minutes.
    [very true.. there are times when I end up starting on my inbox]

    3. You turn on your PC/laptop upon waking up (and you do it before going to the bathroom).
    [wahehehe.. a big CHECK!]

    4. If you blog, you think about how you're going to post an experience while you are still experiencing it.
    [CHECK: but recently I hate to post experiences 'cause they usually run very long]

    5. You leave your PC on the whole night so you could multi-task while you are sleeping.
    [another big CHECK - not counting last dawn's (330-400) power shortage, our PC's system uptime is more than two weeks (since graduation)]

    6. At a cafe/resto, the first thing you ask the waiter is, "Do you have free wifi?"
    [a BIG X. I don't even own a lappytoppy]

    7. You're reading this post on a Sunday night... hahaha... gotcha!
    [huhuhu, X.. I was busy yesterday night.. :(]

    Waaaaa, I'm TECHNO-STRESSED!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:42 PM

    I get a relaxing facial when i'm stressed. Nakakarelax.

    Basta huwag na huwag lang kayo magpapafacial sa Facial Care Centre kung ayaw niyo masira mukha niyo tulad ng nangyari sa mga kakilala ko.

    Nice blog here. Please check out my blog too. facialcarecentre.blogspot.com.

    More power!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this falls under "excessive use of the internet" which will become a mental illness.

    And did you know that blogging is slowly becoming a cause of death.

    LAGOT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:53 PM

    There was a yahoo article on the chances of internet addiction being including in the DSMIV.

    What to do? Just sleep. The best answer there is! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:23 PM

    I'm familiar with those symptoms you listed down. And you're right, gotta take up my pre-blogging offline hobbies again...

    I have a food blog, so I relax while cooking. And pace my posting, not to post what I cooked immediately.

    Gay

    ReplyDelete
  9. is that a blogger shirt you're wearing?

    where did you get that?

    i want one too... hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  10. @lady cess - it was easier not to be stressed when Miguel wasn't into the internet too.

    @jaydj - dapat after 10 laptops off! hihihi

    @liz - I've been trying to spend a lot of time offline too.

    @Mikko - hala! libre kasi wifi diyan sa inyo

    @facial care center - which reminds me, I have a free body scrub I need to redeem!

    @buddy migs - oh noes. scary naman yan!

    @ozy - what's DSMIV? I love sleeping.

    @gay - which reminds me, I have a target... I need to learn 12 dishes before the year ends

    @dak - nagpa-cute ako sa PM ng Blogger para bigyan ako. It's available in the Google Store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think its something inevitable. Like I am working and my laptop is infront of me for 8 hrs. At home when I get back I have my iphone open in case I have an email coming in. Its the sign of the times.

    ReplyDelete