Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Why I Didn't End Up in the Ad Industry Like My Friends

It's no easy feat to create advertising campaigns. I don't envy the work being done by advertising agencies. What I'm jealous though of is their talent! I can be creative at times, but I can definitely not cal it up anytime to create campaigns, much less ad copy. And that's why I never worked in an advertising agency, but most of my friends (even my best friend!) are now either creative directors or fun, fab copywriters. I fumble a lot with words that's why.

I remember my boss used to lock me up in my room just to create copy (we did a lot of in-house ads before) and I basically abhorred it coz my muse isn't up to the pressure and she usually runs away whenever that happens. I'd say then that I certainly enjoyed being the client and getting cared for during shoots (even though sometimes I got dragged to be an extra!). Creating a tri-media and below-the-line advertising campaign is no mean feat and life is definitely easier when you have a really great ad agency working with you. And the icing on the cake would be winning in the Araw Awards held during the Advertising Congress.

Quite a number of companies are doing online advertising campaigns already. There are quite a number of interesting ones - like the Shrek Youtube videos that HP did to push their laptops (it's somewhere here in my blog) or even Happyslip's video on her love for Mac can be considered an online advertising campaign (I'm not sure if she was paid for it though). It's a good thing that we now have the Internet and Mobile Marketing Association of the Philippines (IMMAP) catering to this side of media. A really great and good sign that times are changing.

Have you seen an interesting online or mobile ad campaign? Submit an entry to the Boomerang Awards: the 1st Internet and Mobile Marketing Awards.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this with everyone - it was a great story and a very personal one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @rocky - you're welcome! glad you enjoyed the post :)

    ReplyDelete