Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Filipina Since Birth

I've been trying to write this post for the past few weeks. I've been so utterly distracted, busy (that's usual), got stranded, and well had mini-birthday celebrations here and there, so that's why I haven't had the time to sit down and compose this post.

I have time and time again wrote about how proud I am to be a Filipino and have been very emphatic why I want to stay home. That's me being Pinoy, but it's a different story when you talk about being "Filipina".

I was talking with a colleague of mine and told him that there's an ongoing online campaign to change the "image of the Filipina". Why? Coz when you search for it all types of websites that brandish our image come up. I'm not even going to mention those anymore.

Now let me share with you what I think a Filipina is based on the feedback I've gotten from my friends in other countries.

1. Pinays are maalaga (Filipinas are good care-givers) - and I don't mean that as a "job". "Pinays are big trouble," my friend said, "I just cannot help it, I want to marry a Filipina because Pinays are the best." Yes, masarap magmahal ang Pinay and we stick it out through thick or thin.

2. Family first - there are a lot of successful Filipinas worldwide. Some known for their accomplishments and there are those who are making waves but haven't reached the news, but at the end of the day, Pinays know that family comes first.

3. We're funny - not funny-silly, but funny humorous. Well that's what my friends tell me. What more can I say? We're always happy.

4. Matiyaga and Resilient - we are not one to break down easily because we are supportive of each other. In the US (my friends tell me), neighbors don't come rushing about to help you when you are sick, but here you can easily get help from your neighbors. Haven't you noticed that psychiatrists aren't big here? Coz we all have our girl-friends.

5. Beautiful - my friends tell me that they want to stay in the Philippines forever because there are so many beautiful women here. The Filipina smile is known worldwide. I remember the flag carrier even used this as one of their advertising themes.

Filipina Since Birth. That's me and that's not going to change ever. I am happy where I am even though my life's been a roller coaster ride. I know I am meant to be where I am now and I think one important unique trait of Filipinas is the fact that we have faith in God and trust Him to know what is best for us. He is pillar behind our resilience, our humor, our beauty, courage and our huge heart.

The traits are wrote above are just a handful of beautiful things we can say about being a Filipina. What about you? What do you think are the best Filipina traits?

Thanks to Dhon Jason for the photo and Francis M Clothing Co. for the shirt (they've got more styles and also take orders for those in neighboring countries).

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:19 PM

    yehey! me, too, i am proud to be a sexy filipina mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ate aileen, you are one of the most successful Filipina that i personaly met. :) i'm proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:03 AM

    I grew up in the philippines and I'm a woman but none of those things applies to me. Should I be worried?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Filipinas deserve more form other people.. including their friends, husbands, brothers, co-workers, bosses, and they deserve more from this world...

    this artcle shakes....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. My name is Jerome Herrera. I recently created a blog wherein I offer to review blogs/websites for free. Right now, I am looking for link exchange partners. If you are interested please email me at jeromeherrera2006@gmail.com My blog is named Jerome Surfs Website Reviews and is located at http://www.jeromesurfs.ph.gd

    You can also request for a free review by going to http://www.jeromesurfs.ph.gd/get-reviewed/

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your welcome very Aileen. Mabuhay ang mga Filipina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree! The Philippines is the best place in the world to live. It's the 'happiness' country.

    Best traits we have are our dedication to friendship and family. Also the low stress lifestyle that promotes good health and long life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi aileen! i was browsing and ended up seeing your blog.

    i just want to let you know that you made me smile knowing that you are one of those who lives abroad but does not forget their roots.

    i am also proud to be pinoy [got a shirt like that too...a pink one tho]!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Aileen. Thank you for supporting the Filipina Writing Project. I also encourage you to create an audio version of your entry and we can include it in our Filipina Writing Project Podcast at http://filipina.podbean.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:42 PM

    i definitely agree..kahit di pa ko mom,haha. alam ko when i become one, i'll be proud to say the same.

    i saw on mam janette's blog that ure coming sa xmas eyeball.. see u there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi,, am kathy,, just new in the world of bloggers , so the prime purpose is to meet up some new pals have anice day

    ReplyDelete